Thursday, April 20, 2006

Diana Triumphant: Kingdom Hearts In Retrospect

So I beat "Kingdom Hearts" last night. Sealed every Keyhole, won every Coliseum Cup, defeated the Ice Titan and Sephiroth, saved all the Dalmations... a lot of fun was had. The story doesn't make a lick of sense, but it's very easy to see past that for the vast amount of fan-service in the game: cameos and boss fights with popular Final Fantasy characters, loads of Disney heroes and villains (most of whom retain their original voice actors), a painless and effective leveling-up system that had me in the mid-80s before I even noticed... okay, I never did figure out how to work the damn Gummi Ship, but that doesn't even register as a minor quibble.

It's a very satisfying game, full of secrets and surprises and things to do; what it lacks in character development it more than makes up for in gameplay. I look forward to the sequel.


0 comments: