Friday, March 31, 2006

"Civil Snore" checklist

Marvel's released the official tie-in list for "Civil War": http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/CWarchecklist.jpg

It's pretty horribly bloated, and while I'd hoped to sidestep it completely, I find that no less than three books on my pull list will be involved: "Captain America", "Ms. Marvel" and "X-Factor". I'm also still on the fence about the Young Avengers/Runaways miniseries, because Zeb Wells might actually be able to pull it off.

So what's a girl to do? I guess it'll depend on how involved the tie-ins will be - some writers just shove the event storyline into the background and continue to do their own thing; some resort to "filler" stories that can be skipped over (Brubaker did this when "Captain America" tied into "House of M"); and some take the most undesirable route of diving headfirst into the crossover, and using it to affect artificial changes in the book that pretty much force the reader to get the greater context. It's also not uncommon for the crossover connection to be completely tangential - I recall a Waid storyline of "Fantastic Four" being billed as an "Avengers Disassembled" tie-in, because in one panel someone mentioned that the Avengers were unavailable. The rest of the story went on regardless.

Time will tell, I suppose. If worst comes to worst, it's another reason for me to drop "X-Factor", and while the first issue of Brian Reed's "Ms. Marvel" was good, it's hardly going to tear me up if I have to let it go. Brubaker's Cap... that's a problem, but if he just puts his stories on hold like he did before, I'll be content.

*sigh* You know, the prospect of abandoning comics to fully immerse myself in webcomics is looking more and more appealing every day. I'll probably be doing a post about that quandary soon.


0 comments: